May 1, 2013

Time flies

I knew it had been a while since I last posted.  However, I didn't realize it was almost four months ago. 

This blog was initially created as a place to keep track of my fishing.  A journal of sorts, so that I could refer back to when needed.  It served its purpose pretty well, however, I've discovered that there are better ways to record this information.

I'm now using Google maps for my journal.  Hence the slowdown in posts here.  I have one map for each river, and I place markers at various runs to keep track of access and where I caught fish.  Each time I hook a fish, I record the water temp, clarity, fly type/size, tips used, etc, etc.  I now have a pretty good visual database to keep track of these things.

For instance, I went to the Sandy last week and decided to try a new access point that I had never been to.  I looked up notes from a couple of weeks ago in the surrounding areas and figured out what would be a reasonable setup.  On this day, I chose 12 feet of T14, an unweighted blue/black marabou trailer fly.  Fishing in about 8 feet of water on a soft shoulder, I hooked a fish that I estimated to be 11-14 lbs.  (It ended up breaking my leader about a rods length away from me.)

Previous notes don't always work as well.  I went to another (no names) river yesterday and took with me the same setup/fly I used on the Sandy.  The water was low and clear.  However, what worked on the Sandy was not working here.  Because the water temps were almost 50 degrees, I decided to scale down.  After putting on a size 4, I immediately got hits from smaller fish.  That led to a few bumps from bigger fish.  Then I got a really good pull that came out within a few seconds.  Several casts later, I either hooked that same fish, or another of equal size.

It took the fly softly, then after trying to reel him in, he went on a mad tear.  Jumping 2 or 3 feet out of the water two different times.  Did I say he was BRIGHT?  This fresh fish pulled some line out, then came towards me.  I couldn't reel in fast enough, so I stripped line.  Stripping, and more stripping, he now was upstream of me and pulled more line out.  That punk fish found the only boulder between me and him and went right underneath it.  Only being 5-8 feet away from me, I tried to move upstream to dislodge him.  No luck.  The knot broke (probably from rubbing on the rock) at the top of the leader!   This was a big, bright, and feisty fish.  I thought I had 'em.  Ended up being outsmarted in the end.

I'm going back today to the same river for a few hours. Because of the water temps and water clarity.  I'll probably switch over from my sinking skagit line to a Rage.  Summer fish are in and they are willing to move to a fly.  Let the fun begin!




 

No comments: