Sep 4, 2012

North Umpqua

My trip to the NU happened a few weeks ago.  I'm just now getting around to talking about it.  Seems my blogging has taken a back seat to everything else in life.

Left the house on a late evening to arrive at the NU early in the morning.  Early as in, enough time to sleep for a few hours.  The NU is a 4 hour drive from the house in Washington.  While the NU isn't really that far, it is enough where I wanted to snooze.

Got up before the sun did.  Put the waders on and wandered down to Camp Water.  My first stop was Lower Boat.  I figured that was a safer bet than trying to negotiate through the water to Station before the sun was up.  Saw some fish jumping, but couldn't catch anything but smaller fish.  The river was empty except for one other guy.  I took his spot on Upper Boat while he moved to Station.  I later went down to Kitchen, then went back up to Station.  No fish anywhere.  Bummer.

Access North Umpqua
Air Temp Low 50, High 85
Water Temp/Visibility ?F / 8-10 feet
Weather Sunny and windy
River Stage ? feet
Time in/out 5am / 10pm
Leaders/Lines Scandi
floaters All day
8lb Maxima
Flies


unweighted summer
Notes
Windy with good water level and visibility. Typical magical Summer day on the NU

I made the walk downriver to several spots that I hit on previous trips to the NU.  No go.  Again, I saw some fish, but couldn't get them to my fly.  I was fishing floating lines and un weighted flies.  Often skaters.  

Sometime in later morning I did what I do every trip to the NU.  I slipped into the water.  After a trip back to the car and a change of clothes, I was back again.  This time up river of the bridge.  Decided to walk further than I have before.  Came to realize, once you get around the bend, there isn't a whole lot to fish unless you want to walk for a long time.  Oh well, lesson learned.

Back to the car.  This time I decided to drive down to mile marker 30 something and parked at every pullout available.  Found some great spots that I marked on my map for future reference.  Ended up catching some 18-22" fish.  Nothing to write home about.  

The day was windy.  Casting that compact scandi wasn't easy.  I concentrated on what was right in front of me and found some good water at my feet.  Had a blast while being blasted by that wind.

I ended up day somewhere between mile marker 30 and Camp Water.  Scurried home and had another fantastic magical Umpqua river trip in the books.

No comments: