May 7, 2012

Local?

I might be in the minority.  But, I actually look forward to Mondays.  I enjoy my work and I know that sometime during the week, I may get a chance to get out on the river.  The weekends are blocked out for family time.  So, fishing rarely takes place.

Even though work has been pretty much non-stop, I've managed to get some swinging time.  This would never be possible back in California.  But here, in the PNW, when I have a steelhead river within 5 minutes of home, I can fish in the morning before work or after I get home.  An hour here or there isn't that hard to do.

Lately, I've been focusing on the Washougal and East Fork/Lewis.  I'm getting pretty familiar with both.  Especially the Washougal.  I now know the best flows to hit various runs and have found access points that I never knew about before.  Another bonus, meeting locals on the river that are willing to share their secrets.

Just the other morning, I arrived to the Washougal at a little past 5am.  It was raining and cool.  River was in good shape and looked really fishy.  The summer runs are just trickling in and I could see them rolling around just a few days earlier while we (the family) played nearby.  While I got nothing more than a tug this morning, it was a productive.  As I went back to my car around 7am to go home and take a shower before heading to work, a local came up to me and starting peppering me with questions.

He wasn't rude, just curious about who I was.  After a few minutes, it became obvious he was sizing me up.  He wanted to know if I was a local without directly asking me.  I let him know we just moved into town not too long ago.  He suddenly opened up and shared some of is favorite spots with me.  

The Washougal is one of those rivers that much of the river is surrounded by private lands.  Come to find out, many of the landowners are friendly to fisherman.  They'll let you walk on their land to access the river.  Guess being a local has its advantages.


No comments: