May 27, 2012

Washougal

I've been fishing a few mornings here and there at the Washougal.  Yesterday, I fished the island and neighborhood for a few hours with only a pull.  River stage of 5.25 feet (just low enough to not be washed away at the island) and 51 degrees, the river was clear with 5 or more feet of visibility.  Arrived 1/2 hour before official sunrise to see fish rising in the run I stepped into.

Access Washougal
Air Temp Low 50's
Water Temp/Visibility ~51F / 5 feet
Weather Overcast
River Stage ~5.25 feet
Time in/out 5am / 9:30am
Leaders/Lines Compact Scandi
Int Poly All day
8lb Maxima
Flies Various size 4 and 6 summer -
Notes Water dropping after rain. Good conditions. One pull.

This trip marked the first day of the year I switched over to my compact scandi and slow sink poly leader.  Water temps are high enough to justify fishing just below the surface with unweighted flies.  It was a nice few hours of fishing with eerily quiet day for it being a Holiday weekend.  Only saw 1 other angler.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you fish the Island this AM?

Fly Monkey said...

Hey Jeff. Yeah, that was me. You must of been the one I talked with briefly..?

Did you have any luck upriver? After staying at the island for about 1/2 hour, I went upstream a little ways myself. No grabs. Just a few plucks from probably smolts.